Tanks & Pressure Vessels
Corrosion & Abrasion Solutions Ltd. (CASL) is specialized in blast cleaning and coating of various large diameter tanks and pressure vessels.
When CASL comes to your site, you are assured of highly trained and skilled certified professionals to complete blasting and coating to protect from corrosion and erosion.
CASL’S TYPICAL ON-SITE SERVICES FOR TANKS AND PRESSURE VESSELS INCLUDE:
- Abrasive Blasting
- In-situ Thermal Spray Coatings
- Industrial Floor Coatings
- External Painting
- Internal Lining
- Fireproofing (intumescent fireproofing)
- Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) and Corrosion Under Fireproofing (CUF) Protection
- And much more
WE CAN PROVIDE THESE SERVICES FOR A VARIETY OF ON-SITE PROJECTS SUCH AS:
- Facility Maintenance
- Plant Turnarounds
- Pipe and Tank Rehabilitation Services
- New Construction
CASL holds approvals with Devoe, SPC, Denso, 3M, Cloverdale, Endura, Tnemec, Highland, Sherwin Williams, Hempel, Carboline, International Paint, Corrchem, and Chartek.
All surface preparations and protective coating applications (internal and external) are performed according to strict quality standards in accordance with NACE and SSPC regulations.
OUR LIQUID COATING METHODS INCLUDE:
- Plural Component
- Brush and Roll
CASL provides quality on-site application of thermally sprayed coatings for various global industries. To provide our customers with the greatest coating life, CASL uses thermal spray systems and alloys designed to produce superior coatings. CASL uses high-energy powder combustion, twin wire electric arc, or high velocity oxy fuel (HVOF) processes to provide customers with dense, high strength, low porosity coatings, which protects and extends the life of your assets.
With in-house technical support, CASL provides its customers with the coating systems and options for their individual applications. CASL backs up this support by providing field supervisors who monitor the application procedure to ensure we exceed the minimum industrial standards required for your application.
CASL’s variety of thermal spray systems gives us the ability to apply a vast range of coating materials – from aluminum to zinc and all of the alloys in-between. We are Western Canada’s preferred Hastelloy® thermal spray service provider; this coating is the industry go-to for protection against corrosion problems in the oil and gas industry.
THERMAL SPRAY IS USED PREDOMINATELY TO PROTECT TANKS AND VESSELS FROM CORROSION, BUT MAY ALSO BE SUITABLE FOR COMBINED CORROSION/ABRASION APPLICATIONS. TYPICAL ON-SITE THERMAL SPRAY ALLOYS ARE:
- Aluminum for atmospheric corrosion, corrosion under insulation (CUI), corrosion under fireproofing (CUF), saltwater corrosion and sulphur attack
- Stainless Steels for moderate corrosion
- Zinc for atmospheric corrosion
- Hastelloy® materials for chloride environments and exceptional corrosion, pitting and erosion resistance
- Amorphous nickel based materials for high temperature wear resistance and moderate impact abrasion applications
- Custom alloys, which can be manufactured for special needs upon request
SOME OF THE TYPICAL ON-SITE THERMAL SPRAY APPLICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Amine Towers and Reboilers
- Flash Drums
- Weak Acid Cation (WAC) Vessels
- Heat Exchangers
- Separator Vessels
- Sulphur Condensers
- Waste Heat Boilers
SOME ADVANTAGES OF THERMAL SPRAYED COATINGS:
- Higher service temperatures than most other coating processes
- There are no metallurgical changes made to the substrate during the application process
- Thermal sprayed coatings can provide both barrier and galvanic protection
- Wide selection of alloys can be matched to even the most severe service environments
- Coatings can be applied during typical maintenance shutdown windows
- There is no cure time; thermal sprayed coatings can be put into service immediately after application
- Thermal sprayed coatings can be tied into and extended at later maintenance shutdowns
Spray Foam Insulation
CASL USES A CLOSED CELL SPRAY FOAM APPLICATION FOR TANK INSULATION THAT CAN BE PROCESSED IN BOTH SHOP AND FIELD. TYPICAL SPRAY FOAM PRODUCTS INCLUDES:
- Foamsulate 205 – seamless high insulation value
- Class 1 flame retardant for maximum service temperature of 80°C
- Foamsulate HT – for tank exterior with a maximum service temperature of 121°C (250°)
- Urea finish or elastomeric sealer – protects the foam from the elements e.g. UV rays and water
Spray foam can provide an insulation rating of up to R7 per inch and can last a lifetime depending on the quality of spray and what it’s exposed to.
Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) or Corrosion Under Fireproofing (CUF)
CUI or CUF is a form of localized external corrosion that occurs in carbon and low alloy steel equipment that has been insulated or fireproofed. This corrosion occurs when water is absorbed by, or collected in the insulation or fireproofing. The equipment begins to corrode as it is exposed to water and oxygen. CUI is most common in refineries and process plants that typically operate equipment at high temperatures, while CUF is most common in areas where fireproofed components are exposed to rain, snow, wash cycles or poor drainage.
CUI and CUF requires 3 items to occur: steel, water, and air. Atmospheric moisture, process variations, leaks, and maintenance cause water buildup on the equipment, and it is virtually impossible to eliminate. Our only solution is to change the chemical/electrical reaction causing the corrosion.
CASL OFFERS A COUPLE OF SOLUTIONS TO PROTECT AGAINST THE DAMAGING EFFECTS OF CUI/CUF BY:
- Applying a non-metallic barrier coating to the steel that prohibits the reaction from occurring through paint or epoxy.
- Applying a metallic barrier coating to the steel to provide a physical barrier to the water, and to significantly change the corrosion reaction.
Why Choose CASL?
- Highly trained and qualified staff who’ve completed in-house accredited training through Train the Painter (TTP)
- Leading edge customized equipment to meet our customers’ stringent safety requirements
- Various advanced heating equipment and dehumidification equipment to allow for coating in any inclement weather
- In-house trucking, meaning increased flexibility and savings by not relying on third party
- Knowledgeable estimating and engineering team to develop customized solutions – out of the box thinking and solutions to aid with cost control
- Multi-disciplined staff who have the ability to transition their skills within our other divisions
- Manpower – ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Safety personnel specifically trained in the industry
Qualified Inspectors, Quality Product
CASL’s high ratio of NACE certified coating inspectors enables our supervisors to advise customers on the type of coating systems required for a cost-effective and long-lasting finished product.