At Corrosion & Abrasion Solutions Ltd. (CASL), we are industry specialists in on-site cleaning, blasting and coating of fabricated/structural steel. Our fit-for-purpose solutions reduce owning and operating costs by preventing failure, extending service life and minimizing outage downtime.
When CASL comes to your site, rest assured that highly trained and certified professionals, backed by a carefully engineered execution plan, are ready to complete your blasting and coating projects.
CASL’S TYPICAL ON-SITE SERVICES FOR FABRICATED/STRUCTURAL STEEL INCLUDE:
- Abrasive Blasting
- Metal Coatings (thermal spray)
- And much more
WE PROVIDE THESE ON-SITE SERVICES FOR A VARIETY OF PROJECTS SUCH AS:
- Facility Maintenance
- Rehabilitations of Pipe, Tank and other assets
- New Construction
CASL provides on-site application of thermal sprayed coatings for the most challenging industrial applications. We operate a variety of coating systems to effectively match the application process with the solution. Application systems include high-energy powder combustion, twin wire electric arc and high velocity oxygen fuel (HVOF). The result is dense, high-strength, low-porosity coatings to protect and extend the life of fabricated and structural steel.
CASL’s variety of metal application systems give us the ability to apply a vast range of coating materials – from aluminum to zinc, and all of the alloys in-between. We are Western Canada’s preferred Hastelloy® thermal spray service provider; the go-to coating for protection against severe corrosion problems in the oil and gas industry.
Thermal spray is used predominately to protect structural and fabricated steel from corrosion, but may also be suitable for combined corrosion/erosion applications.
OUR TYPICAL ON-SITE THERMAL SPRAY ALLOYS ARE:
- Aluminum for atmospheric corrosion, corrosion under insulation (CUI), corrosion under fireproofing (CUF), saltwater corrosion and sulphur in industrial environments
- Stainless steels for moderate corrosion
- Zinc for atmospheric corrosion
- Modified Hastelloy® materials for chloride environments and exceptional corrosion, pitting and erosion resistance
- Custom alloys, prepared for special needs upon request
ADVANTAGES OF THERMAL SPRAYED COATINGS INCLUDE:
- No metallurgical changes made to the substrate during the application process
- Provides both barrier and galvanic protection
- Wide selection of alloys can be matched to even the most severe service environments
- Coatings can be applied during typical maintenance shutdown windows
- No cure time; thermal sprayed coatings can be put into service immediately after application
- Thermal sprayed coatings can be tied into and extended at later maintenance shutdowns
SOME OF THE TYPICAL ON-SITE APPLICATIONS FOR FABRICATED STEEL INCLUDE:
- Boiler Tubes
- Well Head Casings
- Platforms and Handrails
- Pipe Supports
- Steel Structures
- Miscellaneous Fabricated Components
Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) and Corrosion Under Fireproofing (CUF)
CUI and CUF are forms of localized external corrosion that occur in carbon and low alloy steel components that have been insulated or fireproofed. CUI is most common in refineries and process plants that typically operate equipment at high temperatures, while CUF is most common in areas where fireproofed components are exposed to rain, snow, wash cycles or poor drainage.
CUI and CUF occur when the following conditions coexist: steel, water and air. Atmospheric moisture, process variations, leaks and maintenance cause moisture accumulation on the components that are virtually impossible to eliminate. CASL’s solution is to change the chemical/electrical reaction causing the corrosion by:
- Applying a non-metallic barrier coating to the steel that prohibits the reaction from occurring through paint or epoxy.
- Applying a metallic barrier coating to the steel to provide a physical barrier to the water and to significantly change the corrosion reaction.
Why Choose CASL?
- Highly trained and qualified staff who’ve completed CASL’s proprietary in-house accredited training program
- Modern, specialized application equipment that meets the most stringent safety requirements
- Advanced heating and dehumidification equipment to allow for coating in extreme weather
- In-house trucking, meaning increased flexibility and savings by not relying on third party carriers
- Knowledgeable estimating and engineering team to develop customized proposals – out-of-the-box solutions to aid with cost control and tight timeline execution
- Manpower – ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Safety personnel specifically trained in the industry
Qualified Inspectors, Quality Product
CASL’s high ratio of NACE certified coating inspectors enables our supervisors to advise customers on the type of coating systems required for a cost-effective and long-lasting finished product.