Boring Mil / General Manual Machinists
July 1, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Position: Boring Mill / General Manual Machinists
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Job Type: Full-timeMagnum Energy Services Group (“Magnum”) specializes in all types of corrosion prevention and repair solutions with both shop and field applications. Magnum is a one stop shop offering complete abrasion and corrosion control services. Magnum is dedicated to providing innovative solutions to corrosion and abrasion problems experienced by energy, mining, and other industrial customers. Specializing in hydraulic cylinder repair and manufacturing, metal and polymer coatings such as thermal spray, plasma transfer arc welding, hard chrome and epoxy based coatings. We are looking to fill our available boring mill and general manual machinist positions, reporting to the Production Supervisor in our Metals division. The boring mill/general manual machinist is responsible for setting up and operating manual boring mills, conventional mills, manual lathes, and may be required to set up and performing cylindrical and surface grinding operations. The candidate will demonstrate Magnum’s capabilities through the high quality and safe performance of work. The successful candidate will demonstrate skills in machining, abrasives, measurements, blue print reading, surface finishes, and understanding the importance of production needs. The ideal candidate will also will demonstrate strong attention to detail, reliability, great interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Responsibility # 1: Setting up and operating manual boring mills and lathes
- Performing tasks such as turning, boring, key way cutting, and profile machining.
- Reading blue prints and work orders.
- Calculating dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments.
- Measuring, examining, and testing completed units to ensure the requirements are met by using precision instruments.
- Setting up, adjusting, and operating all basic machine tools and other specialized tools to perform daily machining operations.
- Monitoring the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Observing operating machines and equipment to prevent, and if needed, diagnose machine malfunctions requiring maintenance, adjustments, or repair.
- Lifting and moving parts around the plant.
- Responsible for producing quality work in a safe and timely manner.
Responsibility #2: Setting up and monitoring the grinding process
- Remove carbide, chrome, and steel using appropriate abrasive.
- Rough and finish grind to tight tolerances.
- Read and interpret charts, drawings, and blueprints.
- Determine product specifications such as dimensions, tolerances, and a number of parts to be ground.
- Determine grinding speeds, feed rates, holding fixtures, and grinding wheels to be used.
- Mount grinding wheel, dress wheel according to specifications.
- Utilize micrometers, calipers, and preset gauges.
- Set up automatic work feeding device.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Check grinding wheels for cracks.
- Lift or hoist work pieces.
Other requirements are:
- Manual boring mill and general machining experience required.
- Journeyman certificate considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of cylindrical grinders, manual lathes, mills, drill presses, and precision measuring tools.
- Working knowledge of downhole tools required and hydraulic cylinder components
- High school diploma recommended.